Rhoades: Diocese surprised and hurt by new allegations
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA) - Bishop Kevin Rhoades on Tuesday said there had been “no red flags” regarding the conduct of a priest who is now “credibly accused” of sexual misconduct.
Rhoades spoke to the media Tuesday afternoon, one day after the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese disclosed the removal of Fr. David Huneck from his pastoral duties.
Huneck has served in various capacities in northeast Indiana since his ordination in 2018 and was one of two chaplains at Bishop Dwenger High School.
Whitley County authorities told ABC21 they have opened an investigation into Huneck.
Rhoades said the developments have been “devastating” to him, and said the diocese is “cooperating totally with the investigation by law enforcement.”
The matter involves two possible victims -- one a minor, according to Rhoades.
He said Huneck has been added to the list of area priests and deacons who have been credibly accused of misconduct.
“I can’t think of anything we could have done differently. There were no red flags,” he said. “Temptation and sin, I guess, happens.”
Rhoades said Church leaders have reached out to the victims.
“My heart goes out to the victims and the communities deeply affected by tragedies which were a shock to us all,” he said.
Rhoades encouraged anyone who wishes to report any misconduct involving a Church member to contact either the diocese or law enforcement.
A Victim’s Assistance Coordinator can be reached via email at email@example.com, or by phone at 260-399-1458.
Copyright 2021 WPTA. All rights reserved.